Sunday, April 27, 2008

RIP Humphrey Littleton

Worse things happen in life than the death of an 86 year old man, but I know I am not alone in finding the passing of Humprhey Littleton genuinely sad.

The fact he had kept broadcasting right up to the end is to be celebrated. For my whole life he was a broadcasting instituion and brought genuine joy and laughter to millions as chairman of Radio 4's "I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue". Somehow this was that rarity, the show that never grew stale and was funny right to the end. Genuine sillyness but so cleverly done that brought half an hour of diversion to all who listened.

I must admit to ignorance about most of "Humph's" jazz career but that only adds to the depth of a much loved broadcaster and musician.

Rest in peace. You will be missed.

Below is a brief flavour but it is difficult to find a clip that truly does justice to all his talents.....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Much missed.....