Monday, December 18, 2006

Macao


Another photo ! I don't seem to have much time or inclination for "proper" writing on this trip.

However at the weekend I took the ferry from Hong Kong to Macao. Most readers will know that Macao is a former Portuguese colony, now controlled by China but like Hong Kong still operating with its own system and currency.

Much Catholic influence remains in Macao and it has a number of churches, many still functioning. This is the ruins of Sao Paulo church, burnt down in 1835. The bones of Japanese Christians martyred at Nagasaki in the 17th century remain on the site.

This is now one of the focal points for tourism in Macao.

I had an interesting experience which I feel highlights the current state (or lack) of freedom in modern China. That probably merits more telling than I can manage tonight, so I will save that for another day.

Anyway, I have two more days in Hong Kong before returning home to my wife in London.

Back soon !

No comments: